What Makes Ya Talky Words

Earlie Cuyler: School? Ain't dat da durn place where they got all dem uhh lets see, whatcha call um uhh? Fold outs covered in scriblins wrote up all over.
Earlie Cuyler: uhh? Books?
Earlie Cuyler: uh-uh, uh-uh, No they square like a magazine.
Sheriff: Books Earlie.
Earlie Cuyler: Noo not not that, but something like that, I wanna say boooooo ... boooooooo ... Ya know, them things what makes ya talky words.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Re-Cap

So, yesterday I returned from a long weekend (Thursday through Monday) from Savannah, spending time with my ailing grandfather and my sweet aunt.  Alzheimer's is a mean disease.  I don't like it.  One bit.  However, as he's regressing, my granddad is happy for the most part.  He sings, he still has a bit of his quirky wit about him and he's sweet to me.  I've never had a 'real' relationship with him until these last few months.  And, although I'm 32 now, in the end, I'll be happy to say I did indeed have a relationship with him ~ a sweet one, at that.  He gets confused.  Doesn't know who I am, or who most other people are, a lot of the time.  He isn't sure where he is or where he's going.  Waves of paranoia come and go with him.  But, for the most part, he's trusting.  Of me, and the others looking after him.  He doesn't put up a fight and is quite compliant and mostly pleasant.


The days I spent there were bitter-sweet.  Sweet to be with him and watch him sing along with his Il Divo CD, clap his hands, fade off to a sleepy afternoon nap, talk about long gone relatives he thinks are still around, sit outside with him after dinner in the breezy evening air.  Bitter, because he's fading.  And with this disease, obviously, there's no going back.  So, it's time to enjoy what we do have with Mr. Jack Logan, my granddad.  The only one I've ever had, the only one I ever will.

Aunt Mae and Granddad 
I flew home in time Monday morning to meet my sister at the Atlanta airport atrium.  I got to spend about half an hour with her before she walked through security and off to Phoenix she went.  Man, that was tough.  Is tough.  I'm still not accepting that she's gone yet.  It hits me now and again that I won't have anymore weekend nights out with her.  No more weekday morning talks over coffee this fall.  No more late night 'slumber parties' at my mom and dad's house.  I don't want to go to the places we went to together anymore.  And I really liked those places.  But, for now, at least, it's too sad.  My best friend has gone away and I'm lonely without her.



I woke up this morning to find Nicholas' hermit crab dead.  Fantastic.  Being amazingly under-dramatic and calm, like he is, it was no big deal.  And by 'no big deal', I mean he cried all morning and we had a funeral this afternoon for the crab before we buried him.  Hearts were heavy . . . (Well, the kids' were, at least - must admit, it's one LESS thing for me to keep up with around here!)

Happier times ~ Obviously, before his passing . . . .
Took the kids to school this morning, went and picked up the two bags of groceries and my change I'd left at the grocery store last night (with all three kids in tow - shocking how one could be so distracted to leave bags *plural* bags of groceries) and decided to go wash my car.  Where I promptly dropped three out of four quarters needed to vacuum.  So, I'm on my stomach reaching (and I have a fairly long reach) for these quarters.  Awesome.  They're directly under the center of my Expedition.  So, I hop in and move the thing to rescue the stupid quarters.  Afterwards, it needs a wash.  Water/money runs out half way through rinsing tons of foamy soap.  Perfect.  Go change a $5 into 20 MORE quarters and finish rinsing the car.  Still have time left, so I decide to 'Protect My Vehicle With A Tri-Color Protectant Foam'.  It's not coming out.  So, I do the brilliant thing and look directly into the nozzle, when the 'protectant foam' kicks in and blows a cuss-ton of tri-color foam all over my face.  Pretty sure my left contact is permanently seared to my eyeball.  Haven't really been able to see very well since that killer experience.

Finish up.  Drive home.  (Oh, spilled my Starbucks on the way, as well.  Par for the course . . . ) Trying not to burst into tears - just because, at this point.  Walk in the door and discover a dead mouse we've been trying to capture for a month or two in the handy-dandy mouse trap that's supposed to contain ALL of the trapped vermin.  Not so much.  Call me crazy, but at this point, I really didn't feel like disposing of a plastic container with two little mouse feet poking out.  It was just sad.



So, now, I'm gathering my three kiddos inside from playing in the sprinkler.  Yup.  September 7th, 7:20 and they're all in their swimsuits, running through the water - That's GA weather for ya!  And Stella has a pair of panties on her head.  Not sure why, but, that's Stella!  And they're happy.  Happy!  Oh, wonderful 'happy'.  And they're laughing.  And I hear them running carefree and acting silly.  So, I think I'll go join them.



I could use a little carefree and silly tonight . . . 

8 comments:

  1. well ya talky words just get better n better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You probably don't remember me, but it is Kristie. The picture of you and your grandfather is priceless and timeless. You will always cherish that picture of you and your grandfather. I have several pictures of me with my grandfather, but the most special ones to me are the close-ups of his hands and his hands holding my Nana's hands. I miss him so much and it has only been a year. Just enjoy every moment you have with him. Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristie! Of course I remember you, Silly :) And I remember how much I loved the picture of you and your grandfather . . . I am cherishing these times I have with him - Such sweet memories we're making.

    Miss you, girl!!

    ReplyDelete