What Makes Ya Talky Words

Earlie Cuyler: School? Ain't dat da durn place where they got all dem uhh lets see, whatcha call um uhh? Fold outs covered in scriblins wrote up all over.
Earlie Cuyler: uhh? Books?
Earlie Cuyler: uh-uh, uh-uh, No they square like a magazine.
Sheriff: Books Earlie.
Earlie Cuyler: Noo not not that, but something like that, I wanna say boooooo ... boooooooo ... Ya know, them things what makes ya talky words.

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Amo Mia Sorella

So, it's here.  The day I dreaded, but knew would eventually come.  My sister, my best friend, my soul mate, my go-to, my rock -- is moving away.  Fah, fah away.  Phoenix, to be exact.  And that's not within driving distance from me when I'm having a nervy-break-d, when she is, when we both just need a day/night out to laugh, cry or just blow off steam.  It's, in fact, a whole airplane ride and four hours away.  And this makes me sad.  For me.  For her, I'm so happy . . . She's starting fresh, new, whole again!  She's a little nomad and needs/deserves this exciting next chapter of life.




As I write, my mind is bouncing with memories of the past five years I've had her here with me.  Trips to Rosemary, Savannah, the mountains.  Tattoos together and how she so well survived the experience it was for her!  Me, curled up on her couch crying, while she made me dinner and tucked me in.  So many nights out with fabulously silly good memories and then some we've just erased from our memory and pretend never happened.  Fellini's, Raging Burrito, Pastries A Go Go, Zesto's, Pizole, Tin Lizzy's.  Locked keys in cars, lost shoe (yes, shoe - singular), trips down icy stairs (in my case - shocker, I know), the delicious encounter with Lenny's bathroom floor, boy troubles.  Boiled 'P-Nuts' (that's what the sign said!), To Kill A Mocking Bird with Tom Key, Halloween parties - Jessica as Jem and I as Amy Winehouse - Yup, we rocked it, late night sleep-over at Mom and Dad's house - just like the old days, The Varsity and Step Up 3 (a fantastic combo!),  park play dates with my kiddos and Aunt Jess, summer afternoons swimming, Fab Fridays @ Heliotrope, Stars and Strikes (HARPO, Jessica!).  I could honestly go on and on.  And on.  The good times really never stop when we're together -- for the most part . . . The keys in the locked car, pouring rain and a SUPER helpful security guard wasn't the BEST time we've ever had together, but once in the car again, we laughed and laughed and laughed.  And laughed some more.  As per usual . . .


She begins her new journey on Monday when she'll fly out to Arizona.  My heart will hurt, it already does.  I'll cry.  She will.  Goodbyes are never fun when you're saying it to someone you love so dearly.  But, I take heart in the fact that she has a wonderful boy there waiting to take care of her.  And she'll be in a place where the sun always shines - a major plus!  And, although she won't be here with me physically, she'll be right here in my heart where she always is and always will be.  I'm so lucky to have her there.




Katherine Mansfield says it best ~ 
Bless you, my darling, and remember you are always in the heart - oh tucked so close there is no chance of escape - of your sister. 


I love you, sweet Jessica.  You're my favorite and the best there will ever be.


Amo Mia Sorrella . . . For always.  


2 comments: